Winter is here

Winter is here
Ron Walker's stunning image of Tamsin, Heather & Rosie on Bellehaven, Fiacaill Buttress (to go to his blog, click on the image above)

Friday, December 17, 2010

A modest outing & BBC Scotland's 'Blind Summit'

To say that my feet are itchey would be an understatement - that's 14 days since my last outing, and a week of commuting between Glasgow & Edinburgh felt more arduous than any trip I've had this season! Despite grand plans of all sorts of unspeakable climbing routes Natalie and I settled for a very lovely stroll up Ben Vrackie near Pitlochary.

As a total aside, here's a little piece I was involved in for Radio Scotland, I thought they did a great job in the variety of voices & perspectives. I've had the pleasure of working with a group of visually impaired people every year and we go climbing, walking and canoeing (amongst other things). It's always an amazing week and I'm always exhausted by the end of it because the organiser, Norma Davidson makes me play & work (more of the former though, if I'm honest) FAR too hard. It seems that opportunities for those who have come to the course are really sparse, finding themselves excluded from many activities (and not because of their own limitations), clubs and courses. If you would like to know anything about next year's Visually Impaired MountainCraft course please me by email.

So, here it is, a 30 minute programme presented by the well-known Lindsay Cannon - 'Blind Summit' which is only available until the 20th of December.

Yup, that golden afternoon glow is a golden afternoon light - we set off a little after 2pm! All set to go and you can tell we're off for a walk because of our rather dressy hats, m-mmmm!
Beautiful views all the way, especially after gaining the shoulder. Needless to say the day was absolutely bitter and the ground frozen solid. It was actually very nice not to be in the shade on the northern side of something, clutching a frozen rope and a pitch apart.
Oh, I love, I love, I love this hat. Just bought myself a crochet needle (that must have a technical name...?) thanks to a mini crash course from Jule and am hoping that I might be able to whittle out an almost exact replica. My hopes are high but the likelihood is very, very low...
 Very pretty, very icey views a few minutes from the summit. Brrrrr.

No comments:

Post a Comment