Winter is here

Winter is here
Ron Walker's stunning image of Tamsin, Heather & Rosie on Bellehaven, Fiacaill Buttress (to go to his blog, click on the image above)

Sunday, November 28, 2010

It's all about the colour (and lemons)

I'm not sure that Andy went for his bright gloves for the same reason that I did (pretty colours of course)! I like to think that he chose them to offset his glorious beard
It may be a two hour walk in to Druim Shionnach, but the going was gentle and the morning light & views gave me lots to gawp at all the way
We finally arrived at the shoulder of the coire where we dumped our sacks and strolled down to the base of the crag. There was a small release of the night's snow as we approached the bottom of the route
Mark and I belayed in a cave while Andy led the second pitch, and the views out across to the sisters of Kintail were lovely
This is Andy starting on the crux section. He paused for a moment and placed two pegs before embarking on it

I was suprised by how quickly Andy led this pitch, placing one more peg on the move. At the top of the grove he moved left in a rising traverse on some lovely delicateish ledges (very partial to my knees!)
I'd like to point out the loveliness of my colours here - I've got a new and already much loved new fluffy (ahem, pink trimmed) fleece on. This pitch was brilliant, and i've chosen a picture where I happen not to be grimmacing

Lovely walk in, lovely walk out. The ground was very frozen right the way back to the cars at Cluanie Inn



















On Saturday, Mark & I drove up from Glasgow to meet up with Andy Nisbet at the Cluanie Inn, Glen Shiel. I was still a bit tierd after the Ben, but he promised me we'd go slow. Despite the snowy roads we got there on time & armed with all sorts of treats, including generous slabs of lemon, almond & polenta cake. The forecast had been touch & go, but we were lucky.


Not suprisingly the only prints we saw on the walk up to Druim Shionnach were from a hare. Andy did the main two pitches on the route and I did a tinsey plod to the top. The turf was absolutely solid, as were some of the hooks. Not having climbed much at all in this area I was struck by how good the rock was. Seeing Andy slink up the climb reminded me that I could do with placing a few pegs from time to time. The climbing was really enjoyable and it was great to be seconding! So, I think the route is V,6, about 90 metres and currently called Lemon Groove (after the cake, & given 10/10 by the way) and I'd personally give it two stars.

Such a good day and in brilliant company, and it's got me all fired up for going northwest this week. Thanks Andy.

No comments:

Post a Comment